Prime Minister Imran Khan’s special assistant on accountability, Shahzad Akbar, on Saturday said that former premier Nawaz Sharif had left the country for treatment on certain conditions and that none of these had been fulfilled.
Akbar, while addressing a press conference in Lahore, said that Nawaz was permitted to get medical treatment from abroad subject to return within the stipulated time frame. Secondly, he was bound to submit his periodical medical reports and updates on his treatment to the court and the Punjab government.
Akbar claimed that Nawaz had submitted “no such report” to either the court or the Punjab government.
Retracing the decisions taken at the time, he said that on October 29, 2019, the PML-N supremo was granted bail by the Islamabad High Court for eight weeks on medical grounds in the Al Azizia case.
“The bail was given on the condition that after eight weeks, in case he does not recover, the Punjab government will take up the matter under CrPC (Code of Criminal Procedure) and conduct a proper hearing,” Akbar said.
After that, on November 16, Shehbaz Sharif filed an undertaking in Lahore High Court that Nawaz will return to Pakistan after the required medical procedures, he said.
Subsequently, on December 23, after the eight-week bail had expired, Nawaz had appealed to the Punjab government for an extension in his bail, Akbar said.
“Because the bail was granted on medical grounds, the Punjab government constituted another medical board. The board demanded fresh reports of Nawaz’s treatment in London,” he said, adding that the board was not satisfied with the reports as the PML-N supremo had “not even been administered an injection” over there.
The medical board had then recommended that he should not be given an extension in bail.
After that, three hearings took place this year, on February 19, 20, and 21, where his lawyer, doctor, and members of his party, appeared to submit the documents validating Nawaz’s health condition.
On February 27, the Punjab home department passed a decision rejecting the extension in bail, demanding that Nawaz return to Pakistan immediately and surrender himself to the authorities.
Highlighting the importance of the home department’s decision, he said that Nawaz, through his counsel, had filed an application in the Islamabad High Court claiming that he had not received the government’s decision.
Akbar said that the PML-N had, in fact, received the decision. “I have brought this order with me so that someone may send it to him.”
The order has also been sent to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, with the direction that a letter is sent to the British government — where Nawaz is currently residing.
The letter was then sent on March 2 stating that Nawaz’s bail had expired and that he should be repatriated.
Akbar said that recently, on August 18, the IHC declared Nawaz “an absconder” as his bail had expired. “The federal government has decided to take matters forward with the help of NAB,” the premier’s aide said.
“This dual standard of accountability cannot take place in Pakistan as common people who hardly get parole, return [to serve their sentence] and Nawaz — who has been disqualified for life by the Supreme Court and found guilty in two cases — is enjoying his life in London.”
Akbar said that this was not a personal vendetta and that it was the government’s objective to uphold the writ of law.
“The legal standing of the undertaking that Shehbaz had submitted will also be probed as he is responsible for ensuring Nawaz’s return,” Akbar said.
Talking about “NRO plus plus” — a reference to the opposition’s proposed amendments to the National Accountability Ordinance (NAO-1999) — he said that Pakistan was in danger of moving from the Financial Action Task Force’s “grey list” to “blacklist”.
“If Pakistan were to be pushed into that list, we would become like Iraq and Iran after the wars. We wouldn’t even be able to import medicines [due to the sanctions imposed].”
Akbar stressed that the matter was crucial and that when the government had come into power it took the matter “very seriously”.
Akbar said that after receiving a list of recommendations from the FATF, a civil servant had been appointed as Director-General FATF and with him in charge, institutions such as the Counter-Terrorism Department, State Bank, Federal Investigation Agency, National Accountability Bureau, ministries, and provincial government were involved to address the FATF issue.